First Battletech Computer Game You Played?

155 replies to this topic

#1 Count Funkula

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

What was the first Battletech computer game you played?

For me it was "Battletech: Crescent Hawks Inception" on the Commodore 64. It's sequel, "Battletech: Crescent Hawks Revenge" was the game that launched me into RTS and was one of the first real PC games I played, and was one of the first ones that I recall using digitized speech effectively. "This is Fire Leader, over!"

#2 Jack Colten

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

Played Battletech (Droids?) and Cresant Hawks Inception on the mighty C-64. 64k is all we'll need right Bill Gates?

#3 Argatson Krieghammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 132 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNot hiding in your closet

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

Uhhh.... does Mechassault count? I played that first, then MW4: Mercs

#4 Galaxy613

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 71 posts
  • LocationUSA, VA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

View Postargatson krieghammer, on 03 November 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

Uhhh.... does Mechassault count? I played that first, then MW4: Mercs

If half-counts. It's good you played MW4 afterwards though. The Mechassault games are not canon. Especially the Lava-Cannons.
I played Mechwarrior 2 first on Windows 95. Then Ghost Bear, then Mercs, then Mech 3... etc.

#5 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

MW2: Mercs, under the logic of "hey, this looks just like Earthsiege!" followed shortly afterwards by "Clan Jade Falcon? That sounds... wait, that awesome cartoon I used to watch!"

And it all went Inner Sphere shaped from there. :)

#6 Iyosin

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationBradenton, Florida

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

MechWarrior 2 was the first I played, but I didn't play it much. I didn't get really into the games until MechCommander/MechCommander Gold and then MechWarrior 4.

#7 Terminatio

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

Mechwarrior 2 but my love of BattleTech goes back to FASA and cardboard cutouts.

What I loved about the MW$ game was the anxiety you had, watching heat levels, conserving ammo, hoping to make it to the river or drop zone before that Atlas came and kicked you in the face.

#8 Sartris

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

MechWarrior for DOS about 1991... didn't really care for it. Played the heck out of MechWarrior 2 though.

#9 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

Mechwarrior 2

I had a commodore 64, but all the games I had were pirated and given to me by my father. Battletech CHI was not one of those games. Also, I was four years old at the time. (I did, however, buy a Powerhits CD-rom from a bargain bin that allowed me to play the dos versions of CHI, CHR, and Mechwarrior 1. One of the luckiest and best purchases of my youth)

Mechwarrior 2, on the other hand, I was eight years old, had recently seen the Battletech cartoon (Though I didn't realize until much later that they were the same franchise). My father got me a shareware demo of it - just one of a thousand other demos that use to cycle through my computer to keep me placated - but this game stuck with me so hard, I begged for the full version for christmas.

That was a great christmas, I ended up not only getting Mechwarrior 2, but Dark Forces (The Starwars Doom-clone). To this day, the two are some of my most cherished titles. Mechwarrior 2 far more so, though. It took me ten years to get it running properly, after the end of the age of MS-DOS, but thanks to some hard tweaks and dosbox, I got it running again two years ago, and I've relished every moment.

Edited by ice trey, 03 November 2011 - 06:21 PM.

#10 Volt

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

Borrowed MW2 DOS from a high-school classmate of mine, then traded ALL my Magic:The Gathering cards for it (was worth it), then I got the Titanium edition of MW2, GBL and Mercs. Went to MW3 and Pirate's Moon, then MW4, Black Knight and Mercs (with both MekPaks) then the MekTek version of MW4. Also did MechCommander and MechCommander 2, then some other unofficial mods and total conversions. Found MW3 to be the best graphically but MW4 the simplest in terms of customizing (that actually gave each 'mech unique personalities), with MW2 the most customizable. Story-wise MW2 Mercs was the best (nothing beats "hey WTH is a Firemoth doing h.... Holy SH!!!T Clan Invasion!!!) ahh memories... I badly need to reinstall that game!

#11 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

I see so much MW2, and I feel sorta bad that I started with MW3, but I still loved it. And now it won't even attempt to load on Windows 7. What the heck, Microsoft?! :)

#12 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

My first was Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries (titanium edition). I loved everything about that game, the music was excellent, the setting was nicely atmospheric, the dynamic salvage was sweet, and the gameplay was awesome. The way they handled the clan invasion was outstanding,

After that I picked up everything Battletech I could get my grubby little hands on.

#13 Hagop

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

Mechwarrior 3 or Mechcommander not entirely shure.

#14 Strikeagle

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

I started with the C64 version as well. Then onto the MW2 series, then MW3, then MW4.
Dabbled a bit with the MechCommander.
But I started with the original Battle Tech board game!
I was also one of the System Admins for the Mech 3 League.

Man seems like forever ago!
Renain

#15 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

I still have my original boxed sets of crescent hawks inception/revenge and posters etc.
My CBT tabletop mates camped out at my place for a week and we took shifts playing

Happy times

#16 Lance Leader

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

Mechwarrior 2, so many memories...

#17 Rain Man the Excellently

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

Started with MW2 demo years ago, and I've been hooked since. By far my favorite experience with MechWarrior has been with the Multiplayer Battletech: 3025 beta. I call those months my golden age of Battletech. That game was awesome and the community was a lot of fun to play with. Then it all came crashing down when EA canceled its development. I really hope MWO can help me fill the void that MPBT:3025 left.

#18 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

Mechwarrior 2 was my first.

#19 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries.....This was after the SNES games, though.

#20 Scurvy

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

*computer* game?

Mech2: Mercs

My first mech game ever was mechwarrior on super nintendo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users